Reasons for forming a focal group include:
- To encourage and stimulate local level networking and actions among members
- To have a coordinated group of members who can then plan and execute joint activities
- For easy communications among members themselves and the secretariat.
- To enable the network implement special networking activities and projects
- To enable members easily access development information and also exposure to other networking opportunities.
A Focal Group is ran by a steering committee which is selected from within the membership to enhance co-ordination of group activities. It is usually comprised of around seven members who include the chairperson, secretary, treasurer and a few co-opted members.