Enhancing Communities’ Participation
The Enhancing Communities’ Participation for effective Natural Resources management and Enhanced Resilience in Laikipia County Project (2014-2015), funded by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) Global Environment Facility (GEF) Small Grants Programme (SGP), will provide a platform for knowledge sharing between partners supported by UNDP under its Small Grants Programme, being implemented in Laikipia County. ALIN-UNDP partnership is grounded on ALIN extensive experience in knowledge management and work with Laikipia communities over the last seven years.
Project Goal: To create an effective knowledge sharing platform to build communities’ capacity for effective stewardship of natural resources and enhanced resilience in Laikipia County.
- To facilitate consistent knowledge sharing about sustainable landscape management (SLM)
- To disseminate Project information out of Ng’arua Maarifa Centre
- To promote adoption of clean energy use to enhance biodiversity conservation and adaptation as well as mitigation against climate change
- To capture and document indigenous knowledge relevant to sustainable natural resources use and management for posterity.
- Better informed community members capable of adapting good SLM practices
- Preservation of biodiversity in Laikipia County
- Improved livelihoods of communities
- Improved communication and knowledge sharing
- Enhanced online visibility of UNDP GEF SGP Project
- Improved accessibility of indigenous knowledge for enhancing communities resilience
- A revamped Ng’arua Maarifa centre into a community SLM knowledge focal point
- An active group of trained community journalists
- Quarterly newsletter in SLM available throughout Laikipia and online
- Demonstration area for tubular biogas digesters and other clean energy alternatives established at Ng’arua Maarifa centre
- Establishing a information repository at Ng’arua Maarifa Centre and meetings space
- Disseminating Project information through a variety of channels including blogs, a quarterly newsletter and mainstream media
- Regular field forums revolving around global environment events
- Regular communication with all the partners in UNDP-GEF-SGP Project in Laikipia